A haunting image of a woman on the shores of the Yamuna River in Agra, India, has won first prize in a university photography competition. The annual westPHOTO competition is open to University of Westminster students past or present. This year's winner is Vladimir Kastyl, a second-year BA photographic arts student. He said: "Pictures of the Taj Mahal are very common from its front view, but I was more curious about what is around and behind the monument. Behind the Taj is the Yamuna. I met an Indian photographer there, who told me that the next morning there would be a kind of celebration. Indian women would come down by the river and pray for the wellbeing of their husbands. The next morning I took the image."
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now