Brussels, June 2002
A forum on 'Science, technology and innovation for sustainable development' will take place in parallel with the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa, from 26 August to 4 September 2002.
Organised by the South African Government and a number of international scientific organisations, the forum will discuss the following themes:
- Narrowing the knowledge and technology divides between the developed and developing worlds;
- Promoting the interdisciplinary fields of science for sustainable development;
- Promoting greater dialogue between scientists and policy makers;
- Developments in monitoring and early-warning systems for sustainable development;
- Highlighting success stories where science and technology projects have markedly enhanced sustainable development;
- The conclusion of a new 'social contract' between science and society.
The event will host members of the science and technology community as well as policy-makers and representatives of civil society and industry.
For further details, contact Daan du Toit
Tel: + 12 337 8326
Fax: + 12 326-3286
Remarks: Organisations are strongly encouraged to present their requests by 2002-06-30