Bold claims by government ministers reached new heights when Jack McConnell, Scotland's education minister, launched the European Year of Languages at Stirling University this week. Urging fellow Scots to take up the challenge of learning a language, Mr McConnell revealed that he had started refresher lessons in French and that on September 26, Languages Day, he would report on his progress - "in French, hopefully".
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now