Brussels, 28 February 2002
GALILEO ­ draft Council Conclusions. Note from Presidency to Delegations. Brussels, 22 February 2002 (document 6576/02 AVIATION 31 MAR 22 TRANS 63 RECH 44). Full text
Delegations will find in the Annex draft conclusions on GALILEO intended for the Transport Council on 26 March 2002. These conclusions constitute a follow-up to the Council Resolution on Galileo of 5th April 2001.
Draft Conclusions of the Transport Council of 26 March 2002 on the Satellite Radio-Navigation GALILEO Programme
Having regard to
1. the Council Conclusions of 4-5 April 2001, -28 June 2001 and 6-7 December 2001;
2. the High-Level Definition Document, drawn up jointly by the Commission and the European Space Agency;
3. the fact that the financing of the development phase is already provisionally provided for in the financial programme regarding Trans European Networks (`TEN'), for an amount of *550 million, of which the Council has already authorised the use of *100 million in 2001;
4. the proposal for a Council Regulation on the establishment of the GALILEO Joint Undertaking, presented by the Commission on 20 June 2001;
5. the declaration regarding the programme on GALILEOSAT, adopted by the European Space Agency Council on 15 November 2001;
6. the Commission annual progress report on the GALILEO Programme, presented by the Commission on 5 December 2001;
The Council agrees:
1. on the proposal for a Council Regulation on the establishment of the GALILEO Joint Undertaking, and requests the Commission to set up the Joint Undertaking without delay in co-operation with the European Space Agency, in accordance with that Regulation;
2. to the release, subject to the appropriation procedures provided for under TEN, of *450 millions for the financing of the development phase and the allocation of these resources to the GALILEO Joint Undertaking;
3. that Member States will not be requested to make direct financial contributions of their own national resources to the GALILEO Programme;
4. on the transfer to other TEN projects of TEN resources that have been allocated to the GALILEO programme but that are not being used by the GALILEO Joint Undertaking.