Brussels, 23 November 2005
Subject: Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions
- More Research and Innovation - Investing for Growth and Employment: A Common Approach
- Draft Council Conclusions
1. On 17 October 2005, the Commission transmitted the above-mentioned communication to the Council. It is a contribution to the implementation of the relaunched Lisbon Strategy at Community and national levels, following the mid-term review and the Integrated Guidelines endorsed by the Council in Spring 2005. In particular, it stresses the need for further efforts with regard to the Barcelona target of 3% of GDP overall investment in R&D.
2. In response to this communication, it was decided that Council conclusions should be drawn up; these also serve as a follow-up to the Council conclusions on Competitiveness and Innovation (1) of May 2004 and the Council resolution of 22 September 2003 on "Investing in research for European growth and competitiveness" (2).
3. Following examination by the Permanent Representatives Committee on 18 November 2005, it was agreed to forward the draft conclusions set out in the annex to this note to the Competitiveness Council for adoption on 28/29 November 2005.
(1) Doc. 9995/04 COMPET 88 IND 71 INST 160 MI 178 RECH 114.
(2) Doc. 12885/03 ECO 181SAN 190 COMPET 46 IND 125 MI 220 RECH 153 ENV 468 AGRI 285 SOC 357
[Public Info Net automatically generates links to Council Register documents where an appropriately formatted document number is given. However, the document may not be available for public use and/or it may not be loaded on the Council Register yet.]