Degree could be new entree to social work

July 28, 2000

(Photograph) - A three-year degree could replace the diploma in social work as the recognised qualification for social workers, a government consultation document is expected to propose next month.

Health minister John Hutton (below) said last week that getting the basic professional training arrangements right will be the cornerstone of the government's quality strategy for social services.

A review of the diploma conducted by J. M. Consulting for the Department of Health "found a need for significant upgrading of several aspects of the qualifying education with greater focus on field experience based on a single national curriculum for social work training".

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments