He may be calling for stronger moral values in higher education, but Brunel University vice-chancellor Steven Schwartz has been nominated by union officials as the worst boss in Britain for a TV series on Channel 4.
It is hardly a surprising choice given that Brunel recently unveiled plans to cut 60 academic staff posts, including 30 compulsory redundancies. The Association of University Teachers is particularly upset that some Brunel staff suffered the indignity of being branded "research inactive" (known as "dead wood") - thus being of no use in the next research assessment exercise.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now