Brussels, 30 Jan 2006
The European Commission is organising a conference on the role of foundations and private philanthropy in the field of research, to take place on and 28 March in Brussels, Belgium.
Participants will discuss how philanthropy - foundations, trusts, charities, etc. - can fund knowledge generation, in particular research activities, and explore strategies and initiatives to strengthen the potential of philanthropy as a source of funding for research in Europe. Guest speakers will include the EU Commissioner for Science and Research, Janez Potocnik.
Key issues to be examined include:
- stocktaking of national initiatives to foster the role of foundations in research;
- exploration of the various ways foundations fund research;
- a review of cross-cutting issues relating to governance, legal and tax treatments of foundations funding research;
- recent developments in philanthropic mechanisms to fund research;
- views of donors on raising funds for research.