Commonwealth research funding

August 14, 1998

Each month this section will list funds available for academic researchers. Details should be submitted to


The Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) is a pan-commonwealth scholarships programme which enables students and senior university staff to study or train in Commonwealth countries other than their own, under awards provided by the host country.

The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK is the United Kingdom's branch of CSFP, and its administration is provided by the Association of Commonwealth Universities. The CSFP offers Commonwealth Scholarships to any overseas Commonwealth citizen wishing to study at postgraduate level in the UK. Enquiries: The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, ACU, 36 Gordon Square, London WC1H OPF.

CSFP Commonwealth Fellowships.

About 50 fellowships are available each year to enable academic staff in universities in the developing.

Commonwealth to receive training and experience in Britain, so as to increase their usefulness as teachers in their own universities. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission normally accepts nominations only from the vice-chancellor of the university on whose permanent staff the nominee serves.

Subject: Tenable in any academic subject (including medicine and dentistry). Eligibility: Commonwealth citizens and British protected persons, normally university teaching staff, who have completed their doctorate (or relevant postgraduate qualifications) no less than five and no more than ten years by the date of taking up an award, and who are permanently resident in Commonwealth countries other than UK.

Fellowships will not be offered to candidates over the age of 50.

Closing date: (for receipt of nominations in London) December 31 of year preceding tenure.

CSFP Academic Staff Scholarships

Academic staff eligible for these awards may alternatively apply for a CSFP General Scholarship.

CSFP General Scholarships are normally available for study towards a masters or doctoral degree, but may form part of a higher degree programme in the scholar's home university.

Subject: Unrestricted. Primarily for postgraduate study or research.

Candidates should hold a minimum upper second class honours degree or equivalent. (Academic Staff Scholarships open only to candidates not older than 42, holding or returning to teaching appointment in university in developing Commonwealth.)

Application for Commonwealth Academic Staff Scholarships, by nomination by executive head of own university.

Closing date: (for receipt of nominations in London) December 31 of year preceding tenure.

CSFP Commonwealth Scholarships (UK Outward Competition)

The awards made available to the United Kingdom are offered by Brunei, Canada, India, Jamaica, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Trinidad & Tobago, and Uganda, for one to four years according to the course. Australia, which offers awards to developing countries under CSFP, is not currently offering awards to the United Kingdom. The awards are intended for study leading to a post-graduate qualification of a university in the awarding country, but may occasionally be held for overseas research for a British degree, for one year only, if supervision at a university in the awarding country is arranged. The Competition:

The Competition is held in two parts. The United Kingdom nominees for the awards will be chosen after short-listed candidates are interviewed in London in late November/early December 1998. Between one third and one half of those interviewed will be nominated for awards. Interviews are held only in London, and during the period indicated. A provisional interview timetable is available in September 1998. Candidates will be told by the end of December 1998 whether they are to be nominated.

British Council Fellowship Programme

Provides study in the UK for professionals in fields which the council considers particularly important in the country concerned. Subsidiary schemes are the exchange programmes with Eastern Europe, China and Russia, which each form part of a wider bilateral cultural agreement or programme.

Eligibility, subject, and duration. Eligible subjects determined by council director overseas. For periods from two months to three years, for short attachments and courses through to postgraduate taught courses and PhD research.

How to apply:

In the countries in which the scheme operates, the British Council director publicises the awards and is responsible for the selection of candidates.

Enquiries: Development and Training Services, British Council Fellowship Section, The British Council, Bridgewater House, 58 Whitworth Street, Manchester Ml 6BB.

Commonwealth Secretariat, Marlborough House, Pall Mall, London, SW1Y 5HX


British Chevening Scholarships (Formerly known as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Scholarships and Awards Scheme - FCOSAS).

British Chevening Scholarships are funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Scholarships may be for study in any subject field but in countries which are recipients of UK bilateral aid, the developmental relevance of the course is likely to be of primary importance. Awards are normally made for formal courses of postgraduate study, eg a master's degree, but are also occasionally given for shorter, vocationally oriented courses, or for research attachments, lasting between three and six months.

Selection of candidates is carried out by British embassies and High Commissions in consultation with the local British Council representative. All applications must therefore be made through the British Diplomatic Mission in the student's country of origin.

Non-Government Sources


One East 75th Street, New York, NY 10021-2692 USA Tel: (212) 535-0400 Fax: (212) 606-3500



Harkness Fellowships in Health Care Policy, 1999 - 2000

Fellows from the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand can spend four to 12 months in the United States on research relevant to health care policy and practice in the US and the fellow's home country. Deadline: October 1. UK applicants can request an application package from Robin Osborn, Director. Tel: 212 606-3809

Fax: 212 606-3875



c/o School of Pharmacy, 29-39 Brunswick Square, London, WC1N lAX

Contact: D Billington, Administrative Secretary. Salaries are awarded to graduates at postdoctoral level or to those with a medical qualification from any UK university or any country which is or has been since 1910 a British Dominion, Protectorate or Mandated Territory.

Grants are for study in the UK or Eire.


5 St Andrew's Place, London, NW1 4LB, tel. 0171-486 6151

Contact: The Heinz Fellowships Administrator The association administers the Heinz Fellowships. These are awarded to Commonwealth citizens wanting to undertake up to three months research or teaching in the area of paediatrics at a UK university.

Application forms are available in September of each year for return by January. Fellowships are awarded in March to be taken up the following year.


88 Gloucester Terrace, London, W2 3HH, tel. 0171-351 4929

Contact: Mrs Anita Ramchand, Honorary Secretary

Grants are given to Indian citizens who are resident in India, wanting to undertake undergraduate or graduate courses at Oxford, Cambridge, the London School of Economics, Imperial College of Science and Technology, the Royal College of Art and other centres for fine arts and the performing arts.

Applicants must be under 30 years of age and be and remain single during the period of scholarship.

Application forms are available from Inlaks Scholarships, P0 Box 2108, Delhi 110007, India.


148 New Walk, Leicester, LEl 7QB, tel (0116) 2553654

Contact: The General Secretary.

The institute awards scholarships for studies in fire-fighting, fire engineering, fire protection or for fire research. Commonwealth Scholarships of about Pounds 1,600 are offered to Commonwealth citizens for study in the UK.


University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, tel. 0171-380 7815. Contact: Executive Secretary.

Grants are given to British or Commonwealth citizens who have had training in research methods preferably from a UK university or similar institution.

Grants are for postdoctoral research in chemistry at a UK institution.


4 Hamilton Place, London, W1V OBQ, tel. 0171-499 3515.

Contact: The Director. The society offers a number of research awards to students who are UK or Commonwealth citizens, wanting to study aeronautics and related subjects either in the UK or abroad.


Sussex Place, Regent's Park, London, NW1 4RG, tel. 0171-262 5425

Contact: The College Secretary

Fellowships and travelling scholarships are given to UK or Commonwealth citizens to study obstetrics and gynaecology. In some cases, college membership is required. ROYAL COLLEGE OF VETERINARY SURGEONS

32 Beigrave Square, London, SWIX 8QP, tel. 0171-235 4971

Contact: The Registrar.

The college awards the PDSA Small Animal Postgraduate Scholarship for specialist postgraduate study investigating the nature and treatment of iseases in small animals ith a view to alleviating suffen'ng. The scholarship is open to fellows or members of the college who are citizens of the United Kingdom, Colonies or Commonwealth countries or of Eire. Up to Pounds 10,000 for one year in the first instance is available for research at an approved UK university.


The Royal Horticultural Society's Garden, Wisley, Woking, Surrey, GU23 6QB, Tel. 01483 224234

Contact: Mrs K Newton-Cross, Examinations Officer.

Grants are awarded to UK and Commonwealth citizens to study horticulture n any country. Applicants should be between the ages of 25 and 35. Funds are limited and applicants are expected to obtain additional funding from other sources for high cost projects.


Scott Polar Research Institute, Lensfield Road, Cambridge, CB2 lER, Tel. 01223 62061 Contact: Dr P D Clarkson, Grants Secretary.

Up to Pounds 1,000 is given towards Antarctic research and exploration. Only nationals of the UK, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa are eligible.


9 Shaftesbury Road, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 2TD, tel. 0181-940 9295

Contact: Dr F. H. Taylor.

Grants are given to people of Indian nationality normally resident in India and who intend to return to India at the end of studies. Grants are given for studies in the arts, humanities and history of ideas. Awards are at post-graduate level and are intended as supplements to other sources of funding. The correspondent also administers the Charles Wallace Trusts for Bangladesh/Burma/ Pakistan which give grants towards the costs of fees and maintenance of postgraduate students from these countries.

Funding listings are compiled by Sarah Knowles. 0171 782 3225. Email:

Register to continue

Why register?

  • Registration is free and only takes a moment
  • Once registered, you can read 3 articles a month
  • Sign up for our newsletter
Please Login or Register to read this article.


Featured jobs