The House of Commons Science and Technology Select Committee warned against a reduction in the budget for basic research in its report on the Cooksey review of health research funding this week.
In last year's Budget, the Government announced a proposal to allocate £1 billion for funding UK health research through a new single fund, combining the budgets of the Medical Research Council and the Department of Health. The committee said: "We expect the current combined budget for the MRC and the National Health Service research and development function to be at least maintained."
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now