Brussels, 04 June 2002
The European Commission has launched a recruitment drive for the Executive Director of the joint undertaking that will manage the development phase of the European satellite navigation programme Galileo.
The European Transport Council gave the go-ahead for the development phase of the Galileo project in March 2002. On May 21, the Council of Ministers formally agreed to adopt a regulation creating a joint undertaking in charge of managing the development phase of Galileo.
The Executive Director's main tasks will be to:
- manage the joint undertaking in carrying out the tasks defined in its statutes;
- organise, manage and supervise the staff of the joint undertaking;
- draw up and regularly update the development plan;
- prepare the draft annual budget;
- submit to the administrative board any proposal involving a major change in the programme.
The aims of the joint undertaking include starting the research and development activities for the Galileo development phase (2002 - 2005) and mobilising public and private funding.