Brussels, 02 Dec 2005
- The Commission is to publish its annual scoreboard for industrial research and development.
- The scoreboard of industrial R&D gives figures and analysis relating to business investment in R&D in the EU and the rest of the world.
- The EU has set itself the target of investing 3% of its GDP in R&D by 2010, with two-thirds coming from the private sector. Currently investment stands at just under 2%, with the private sector accounting for about 55%.
- This is why the European Commission recently proposed 19 areas for action to encourage businesses to invest more.
- The scoreboard will give the latest figures for such investment as well as an analysis of the type of investment being made.
Press conference at 1215 tbc with Janez Potocnik, Commissioner for Science and Research at the Berlaymont in Brussels.
Antonia Mochan Tel: +32 2 296 9921; Marilyn Carruthers Tel:+32 2 299 9451