Brussels, 25 Nov 2005
- The Commission is to publish its annual scoreboard for industrial research and development.
- The scoreboard of industrial R&D gives figures and analysis relating to business investment in R&D in the EU and the rest of the world.
- The EU has set itself the target of investing 3% of its GDP in R&D by 2010, with two-thirds coming from the private sector. Currently investment stands at just under 2%, with the private sector accounting for about 55%.
- This is why the European Commission recently proposed 19 areas for action to encourage businesses to invest more.
- The scoreboard will give the latest figures for such investment as well as an analysis of the type of investment being made.
The event :
Press conference at 1215 tbc with Janez Potocnik, Commissioner for Science and Research at the Berlaymont in Brussels.
Antonia Mochan Tel: +32 2 296 9921; Marilyn Carruthers Tel:+32 2 299 9451