College pays Pounds 100,000 to widow of employee

November 20, 1998

The widow of a former college employee has won Pounds 100,000 compensation after her husband died of lung cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

Margaret Lord was awarded the compensation after Humberside County Council admitted that it had negligently exposed her husband, Kenneth, to asbestos dust while he worked as an estates manager at Grimsby College of Technology.

Mr Lord had spent a lot of time working near asbestos-lagged pipes in the boiler room of the college, which was at that time run by the local authority.

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments