Two delegates at a conference on China organised by Agora, higher education's newest think-tank, were clearly traumatised by an experience during their visit to the country. At an official banquet they were handed plastic gloves to wear. The private jokes among the Brits as to what to do with the gloves died away as they realised that they were for use in consuming a Chinese delicacy - duck skin in lettuce.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now