Canada relaxes immigration process for visiting academics

International professors on short stays will no longer need a work permit

June 19, 2017
Welcome to Canada
Source: iStock

A new programme launched by the Canadian government will make it easier for the country’s universities to attract international academics.

The government’s Global Skills Strategy includes a work-permit exemption for foreign faculty and researchers coming to Canadian campuses for periods of up to 120 days each year.

Meanwhile, international research chairs moving to Canada will now have access to a new “dedicated service channel” that aims to improve the immigration process and give them personal guidance.

Paul Davidson, president of Universities Canada, said that the measures, which came into effect on 12 June, will make Canadian universities “even more attractive to the brightest minds in the world, building universities’ capacity to advance knowledge, foster innovation and build prosperity”.

Search our database for university jobs in Canada

Guy Breton, chair of the U15 Group of Canadian Research Universities and rector of the University of Montreal, also applauded the changes.

“These measures will make it easier for Canadian universities to attract the top international talent that Canada needs, and will foster the culture of innovation required for Canada to prosper in the globally competitive research environment,” he said.

You've reached your article limit.

Register to continue

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Reader's comments (1)

hi. I am not able to understand this, does it mean this new relaxation is just for the visiting faculty or for also anyone who wishes to got to Canada for for academic work. i am a Ph.D. holder in Management (Microfinance), i would love to get a job in Canada, could anyone help with this. I need to work as an assistant professor in any university there. please advise.

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments

Featured Jobs

Most Commented

Monster behind man at desk

Despite all that’s been done to improve doctoral study, horror stories keep coming. Here three students relate PhD nightmares while two academics advise on how to ensure a successful supervision

celebrate, cheer, tef results

Emilie Murphy calls on those who challenged the teaching excellence framework methodology in the past to stop sharing their university ratings with pride

Sir Christopher Snowden, former Universities UK president, attacks ratings in wake of Southampton’s bronze award

Reflection of man in cracked mirror

To defend the values of reason from political attack we need to be more discriminating about the claims made in its name, says John Hendry

But the highest value UK spin-off companies mainly come from research-intensive universities, latest figures show