Brussels, 15 Jul 2003
The European Commission has published a call for proposals in the area of 'Life sciences, genomics and biotechnology for health', under the Sixth Framework Programme's 'Life sciences, genomics and biotechnology for health' activity. This is one of the areas covered by the 'Integrating and strengthening the European Research Area' specific programme.
The areas covered by this call are:
1. Advanced genomics and its applications for health
a) Fundamental knowledge and basic tools for functional genomics in all organisms:
- gene expression and proteomics;
- structural genomics;
- comparative genomics and population genetics;
- multidisciplinary functional genomics approaches to basic biological processes across the area.
b) Application of knowledge and technologies in the field of genomics and biotechnology for health:
- rational and accelerated development of new, safer, more effective drugs including pharmacogenomics approaches;
- development of new diagnostics;
- development of new in vitro and in silico tests to replace animal experimentation;
- development and testing of new preventive and therapeutic tools, such as somatic gene and cell therapies (in particular stem cell therapies, for example those on neurological and neuromuscular disorders) and immunotherapies;
- innovative research in post-genomics, which has high potential for application.
2. Combating major diseases
Application-orientated genomic approaches to medical knowledge and technologies:
- combating, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and rare diseases;
- combating resistance to antibiotics and other drugs;
- studying the brain and combating diseases of the nervous system;
- studying human development and the ageing process.
- specific support actions across thematic priority 1.
In specifying the instruments to be used in these areas, the call requests the use of integrated projects (IP), networks of excellence (NOE), specific targeted research projects (STREP), coordination actions (CA) and specific support actions (SSA). Proposers are advised to consult the full call text at the address below in order to find out the particular instruments requested for each area.
The total indicative budget for this call is 411 million euro.
To see the call text, please visit:
The deadline for submitting proposal documents is 13.11.2003
Before contacting the Commission, proposers are strongly advised to consult the original call text in the Official Journal of the European Union at the reference below.
Document Reference: OJ No C164 of 15.07.2003, p15