Brussels, 20 Jan 2004
The European Commission has published a call for proposals for the René Descartes prizes, funded under the 'science and society' activity of the 'structuring the European Research Area (ERA)' specific programme of the Sixth Framework Programme (FP6).
Prizes are available in the following categories:
- Prize for teams having achieved outstanding scientific or technological results from European collaborative research in any field of science, including the economic, social and human sciences (18.104.22.168ai in the work programme). The total indicative budget for this prize is one million euro. The minimum amount for a prize will be 200,000 euro.
- Prize for organisations or individuals having achieved outstanding results in science communication. (22.214.171.124aii in the work programme). European and national organisations which carry out awards in the following fields are invited to send proposals for:
- professional scientists engaged in science communication to the public;
- press articles contributing to the popularisation of science;
- scientific documentaries;
- popular science books;
- innovative action for science communication;
- editorial policy for the promotion of science;
- scientific television/radio programme. The total indicative budget for this prize is 250,000 euro. The minimum amount for a prize will be 50,000 euro.
To see the full details of the call, please consult the following web address:
Remarks: The deadline for submitting proposal documents is 11.5.2004.
Before contacting the Commission, proposers are strongly advised to consult the original call text in the Official Journal of the European Union at the reference below.