Blown away

January 17, 2003

Canada has never aspired to the Animal House excesses of its neighbour the US, whose Greek-letter societies have been immortalised by togas, excessive libations and property damage. Now Canada's own frat boys may have caused major damage - to a 140-year-old grey-stone building. According to Montreal fire investigators, an errant ember from a water bong, used to smoke pot or hash, caused the blaze that severely damaged McGill University's Phi Delta Theta last week. Four people received minor injuries and one was treated for a little too much smoke inhalation.

You've reached your article limit.

Register to continue

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Register

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments