UK shipping is emitting up to six times more carbon dioxide than previously estimated, say scientists at the University of Manchester. They conclude that current estimates, based on the amount of fuel bought at UK ports, are misleading because the majority of vessels refuel at nearby foreign ports, where prices are lower. Researchers say a more accurate measure, based on the number of goods shipped to or from the UK, could see shipping outstrip aviation for carbon dioxide emissions.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now