* Ukcosa, the council for international education, has appointed Dominic Scott its director. He is a former deputy director of export promotions, the British Council's head of arts and education exports in India and deputy director of the Britain Abroad Task Force. He will take on the role when Clive Saville retires in June.
* Elizabeth Raikes , chief executive of Monmouthshire County Council, former head of a sixth form and a chartered accountant with Ernst and Young, has been appointed chief executive of Education and Learning, Wales.
* John Beringer , pro vice-chancellor, and Kathy Sykes , professor of public engagement in science and engineering at Bristol University, have been invited by the prime minister to join the Council for Science and Technology.
* Reyhana Koser , solicitor with the Engineering Employers Federation West Midlands, executive member of Worcester Racial Equality Council and a governor of Stanley Road Primary School, has been appointed to the board of governors at University College Worcester.
* The Royal Academy of Engineering has appointed the following visiting professors in engineering design for sustainable development: Mark Fletcher , associate director of Arup Water (Bradford University); Alan Emery , chartered engineer and a fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (Bath University); Sandy Halliday , principal of Gaia Research (Strathclyde University); Lorna Walker , director of Arup Environmental and a member of the sustainable construction focus group (Sheffield University); and David Raffo , chairman of Raffo Design (Leeds University).