Cambridge University is suspending Portuguese as a full language degree from October 2008.
The university says it plans to reorganise teaching of the subject "in order to preserve and promote Portuguese at both undergraduate and graduate levels". It will continue to offer papers in Portuguese to modern and medieval language students, it said.
Students called the decision "senseless".
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now