Last week, Universities UK trumpeted the appointment of Drummond Bone, vice-chancellor of Liverpool University, as its new president. But the initial press release - later hurriedly corrected - also accidentally dropped a huge hint about who came second in the race to replace president Ivor Crewe.
After the usual congratulations and glowing quotes about Professor Bone, the release ended: "Please note Dr Geoffrey Copland will not be giving interviews at this time as he will not be taking up post until 1 August 2005. Interviews will take place nearer the time of appointment."
It seems that anyone wishing to interview Dr Copland, vice-chancellor of Westminster, about why he didn't get the plum UUK position will have to wait.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now