The first attempt to cross the Atlantic Ocean by robotic sailing boat is under way. A team of scientists at Aberystwyth University designed the 3m sailing boat, Pinta, which was launched off the coast of County Kerry in Ireland earlier this month as part of the Microtransat Challenge, a transatlantic race of robot sailing boats. The vessel is presently heading for the competition finish line just north of the island of Martinique in the Caribbean, but Mark Neal, lecturer in computer science, said he was pessimistic about its chances owing to poor sailing conditions. "At this point it could well turn out to be the world's first robotic sailing boat shipwreck," he said.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now