Brussels, 18 Jul 2003
Subject: Amended proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on traceability and labelling of genetically modified organisms and the traceability of food and feed products produced from genetically modified organisms and amending Directive 2001/18/EC
- Approval of EP amendments at second reading
1. The Commission submitted its proposal to the Council on 21 August 2001. This proposal is based on Article 95(1) of the Treaty.
2. The Economic and Social Committee adopted its Opinion on 21 March 2002.
The Committee of the Regions adopted its Opinion on 16 May 2002.
The European Parliament delivered its Opinion at first reading on 3 July 2002, tabling thirty amendments to the Commission proposal.
Following these Opinions, the Commission submitted to the Council, on 16 September 2002, an amended proposal on the above subject.
3. At its meeting on 17 March 2003, the Council finished its first reading of the draft Regulation by adopting its common position.
4. On 2 July 2003, the European Parliament delivered its Opinion at second reading, adopting six amendments to the common position.
5. At its meeting on 7 July 2003, the Working Party on the Environment agreed that it could accept the Parliamentary amendments in the sense of an overall compromise.
6. At its meeting on 11 July 2003, the Permanent Representatives Committee approved the second reading amendments by the European Parliament.
7. At its meeting on 16 July 2003, the Permanent Representatives Committee agreed to invite Council, as an "A"-item on the agenda of one of its forthcoming meetings, to:
- approve the Opinion of the European Parliament delivered at second reading, as contained in 10815/03 CODEC 888 ENV 391 AGRI 234 WTO 73 CONSOM 77 MI 168.
- enter in its minutes the statements in Addendum 1 to this Note.
8. The Regulation will then be deemed to have been adopted in the form of the common position thus amended 1 in accordance with Article 251(3) of the Treaty. After the legislative act has been signed by the President of the European Parliament, the President of the Council and the Secretary-General of each of the two institutions, it will be published in the Official Journal of the European Union.