We are very glad that Shahidha Bari is bringing her wit (and her hip flask) to the English: Shared Futures conference in Newcastle (“A supposedly fun thing”, Opinion, 9 July).
This large conference, the first of its kind for many years and covering the whole discipline of English, will celebrate the intellectual strength, diversity and creativity of the study of English literature, language, culture and creative writing, and explore its futures in the nations of the UK and across the world. It is organised by the English Association, University English and the National Association of Writers in Education.
However, while Bari’s good humour is inexhaustible, we worry that her hip flask may run dry before she speaks: the event is scheduled for July 2017, not, as printed, 2016.
Royal Holloway, University of London
University of Leicester
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now