* a small core team is able to respond flexibly to university budget variations and pick the right specialists for the job.
* certainty of completion.
* to enable maximum student intake numbers to be achieved.
* cost control as budgets are under pressure with project sums fixed.
* certainty of achievement. Delivery on time, in budget and as specified.
* programme management. Many activities can only start when another finishes on time.
* design management. By rigidly defining the time and cost envelope, architectural design and creativity are focused on getting the desired results.
* decision management. Decisions vary in importance and with many to make simultaneously, an additional view is essential.