* The 40th International Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology will look at animal behaviour. Papers include dogs' social hierarchy in the household and "Friendsheep? Non-reproductive bonds between conspecific ungulates - implications for welfare and husbandry practice". Bristol University, August 8-12. www.isae2006.co.uk/
* The Fifth International Conference on Mathematical Knowledge Management takes place on August 11-12 in Wokingham. Participants will discuss ways of managing mathematical knowledge using sophisticated software tools and the creation of a universal digital mathematics library accessible via the web. MKM is an emerging interdisciplinary field of research linking mathematics, computer science, library science and scientific publishing.
The conference is a precursor to the International Congress of Mathematicians in Madrid, August 22-30. www.reading.ac.uk/MKM06/
* The Eighth International Mycological Congress is being held for the first time in the southern hemisphere. It includes the Cairns Hinterland Lichen Tour and a workshop on smut taxonomy. Cairns, Australia, August 20-25. www.sapmea.asn.au/conventions/imc8/
* The First European Congress of Conservation Biology aims to bring together a wide array of academics, policymakers, students, non-governmental organisation representatives and media from all over Europe. Its theme is "Diversity for Europe". Eger, Hungary, August 22-26. www.eccb2006.org/
* The Ritual and Rhetoric of Queenship,1250-1650 . Themes include holy and sainted queens and royal motherhood. Canterbury Christ Church University, August 24.