Tax-free PhD

August 19, 2005

I read the horrors of Sally Baker's existence as a PhD student with interest (Why I... August 5). She said: ''My friend kept... paying my council tax because my scholarship didn't extend to such luxuries.'' It wasn't supposed to. Both full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students are exempt - a fact stated on the council forms you fill out when you move into a new property. This is true in Scotland and in England. Perhaps the law is different in Wales?

Hazel Morris

Please login or register to read this article

Register to continue

Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.

Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:

  • Sign up for the editor's highlights
  • Receive World University Rankings news first
  • Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
  • Participate in reader discussions and post comments

Have your say

Log in or register to post comments