Have those complaining about the tyranny of research read their contracts? A usual academic contract specifies about 40 per cent of time to be spent on teaching, 40 per cent on research and the rest on admin. Under such a contract if you are not research-active you have two days a week off. That doesn't seem tyrannical to me.
Professor of linguistics
Queen Mary, University of London
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now