Judging an institution or subject by the A-level grades required of entrants hampers attempts to widen participation and attract non-traditional entrants, as well as disadvantaging universities that have a majority of students who do not sit A levels. Such a crite-rion is misleading and is undoubtedly the reason why English at Glasgow University does not figure in your list of top departments in spite of being the only English department in Scotland to have a 5* rating and an excellent in TQA.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now