It is good to hear that plumbers are exempt from the mass mobilisation into higher education. For a while it looked as though snatch squads would have to be sent in to media studies departments to give lads and lasses crash courses in tap-washer changing.
But then you can never have enough water - unless you're drowning. A bit like education, except we are nowhere near saturation point. The trick is to find a group that is relatively rare in universities but big in society as a whole and create a furore. They may not want to go to university, as is the case with working-class white males (Analysis, THES , July 26). But drag them in kicking and screaming I say. If it was good enough for us...
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
- Unrestricted access to the UK and global edition of the THE app on IOS, Android and Kindle Fire
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now