Laurie Taylor's column is usually the first thing I read in The Times Higher but I was shocked and disappointed to see that "sharing a room with a Christian" was considered to be a mitigating circumstance in the joke about raising marks (November 26).
Is it acceptable for your columnists to show what appears to be intolerance towards a minority (as Christians now are in UK)?
I am sure that he would never have dreamt, for instance, of putting "sharing a room with a Muslim" as a spoof excuse for academic underperformance. Even if he had, it would have been edited out.
Professor of French
London Metropolitan University
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now