We at Brighton, Sussex and other universities feel we cannot remain silent about the Israeli aggression against Rafah in the Gaza Strip.
This has continued unabated for three and a half years and caused the ruination of hundreds of Palestinian families. The situation is now at crisis point. In the past week, tanks and bulldozers have gone deep into the city demolishing houses and killing 25 people.
As academics, we have a responsibility to help fellow academics and students everywhere and to defend academic freedom. At present, education of any kind is impossible in Rafah. We call on the Israeli government to put an immediate halt to the killings and demolitions in Gaza, and we ask people everywhere in the world to join us in calling for an end to the war crimes in Rafah.
On behalf of more than 340 academics
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now