Further to “Advice squad”, the feature about PhD supervision ( March). In 1988, when I still smoked, I had my PhD viva in the department of government at the University of Manchester. My supervisor, the late Peter Mair, was sitting in as an observer. Seeing how nervous I was, he asked the chair if smoking was allowed. The chair decided that it was, and I gratefully lit up. A nice gesture from an excellent supervisor and a fine scholar. RIP.
Senior lecturer in politics
University of Wolverhampton
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now