I am unsure how to catalogue the statement from the Department for Education and Skills (For the record, THES , July 26) that higher education applications are "a free market". Do I file it under the duke of Wellington's "believe that, sir, and you'll believe anything" or Mandy Rice-Davies's "Well (he) would say that, wouldn't he"?
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now