Many thanks to Lord Taverne for his masterly exposition of the perils of fundamentalism.
Fundamentalism begins by constructing a clear demarcation between its right-thinking self and "the Other", to which it attaches a catchy label "eco-fundamentalism". It proceeds by throwing over the fence into the enclosure anything it wishes to denigrate. It picks out only the most extreme and bizarre examples, preferably ones discredited elsewhere ("Frankenfoods", MMR) - and suggests these are typical. It refuses to acknowledge any bodies of empirical evidence or reasoned argument that do not support its case. And it patronises and insults the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with its views, deriding them as dupes or charlatans.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now