PeteinBlack (“Soviet administrators”, Letters, 14 May) is convinced that “the managerialist regime inside many universities is worryingly similar to aspects of the Soviet Union”. If only it were so. Even the logician and maverick dissident Alexander Zinoviev (1922-2006) came to regret the passing-away of Soviet research institutes, with their friendly atmospheres and often vodka-fuelled discussions.
R. E. Rawles
Honorary research fellow in psychology
University College London
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now