Thapar University (TU) also known as Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, was established in 1956 in the city of Patiala, in south-eastern Punjab, northern India. It is 70km from Chandigarh airport.
It has grown rapidly since its conception and is now known as one of the best private engineering establishments in India. TU is planning to set up two new campuses over the coming years: one near Chandigarh and one in Chhattisgarh for management and engineering courses.
Students can choose programmes from the L.M. Thapar School of Management (LMTSOM), the School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, the School of Humanties and Social Sciences, the School of Mathematics, the School of Physics and Materials Science (SPMS) and the School of Energy and Environment.
The campus covers 250 hectares and facilities for students include a library, an athletics track, gymnasium and badminton hall and a swimming pool complex. It is compulsory for all students to register for sports activities each and every semester.
In 2014, TU signed an institutional partnership with Trinity College, Dublin to foster academic collaboration in undergraduate programs and research projects. This is just one aspect of TU’s efforts to contemporise and strengthen their global engagement.
The university city of Patiala has a population of about 400,000 and one of the highest number of vehicles per capita in India. The city dates back to 1763, when Baba Ala Singh, a Jat Sikh chieftain, constructed the Qila Mubarak, an 18th Century fort around which the city is now built.