The Polytechnic University of Milan was founded in 1863. It has three main campuses located in Milan (Milano Leonardo, Milano Bovisa Durando and Milano Bovisa La Masa-Lambruschini), the heart of the fashion and design industries, and five more premises around the Lombardy region. In 1987, the Politecnico Network led to the opening of the regional campuses of Como (1987) and Lecco (1989), and regional facilities in Cremona (1991), Mantova (1994) and Piacenza (1997), with the aim of establishing a more direct relationship with the students and interacting with the community’s local businesses. Many important scientists and architects studied and taught here, among them Achille Castiglioni, Gio Ponti, Renzo Piano and Aldo Rossi, both Pritzker prizewinners in 1990 and 1998 respectively, and Giulio Natta, who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1963. The university offers innovative programmes at all levels, within three schools of engineering, two schools of architecture and one school of design. Thanks to a strong internationalisation policy, many programmes are taught entirely in English, attracting an ever-increasing number of talented foreign students, who now form a diverse community from more than 100 different countries.