Bluffton University was founded in 1899 in the village of Bluffton Ohio, USA. Originally set up by members of the Mennonite Christian Church, Bluffton retains close links to the church and the Mennonite values of peacemaking and service still inform the University’s core aims of “Christian values for a global community”. Despite this the university is open to non-Mennonites and the members of that denomination are now a minority in the university.
The university began awarding baccalaureate degrees in 1815 and after financial difficulties in the 1930s as a result of the great depression and the stock market crash, Bluffton began to grow and prosper in the wake of the Second World War.
Today Bluffton has a small number of students, mostly studying undergraduate degrees. The university offers over 85 different majors as well as minors and interdisciplinary programs as well as several graduate programs and professional education opportunities. Bluffton fosters strong links with the wider world through its cross cultural programs and actively encourages foreign students to enrol at the university.
The Bluffton campus covers 234 acres northwest of the small village of Bluffton. The campus is residential and has a strong community feel with students and faculty often interacting around the village and campus leisure facilities. As well as the university’s residential, academic and administration buildings, the wooded campus also houses the Shoker science centre, Yoder Recital Hall, Musselman Library and the Sauder Visual Arts Centre.