Anderson University is a private liberal arts university in Anderson, Indiana. It has a long-held tradition of Christian values which are still strongly observed. It is often ranked among some of the highest-performing higher educational institutions in the Midwest.
In 1917, the Church of God movement, which valued freedom from authoritative church structures, founded the Anderson Bible Training School. The school went on to develop a wider educational programme, becoming Anderson College and Theological Seminary (and later, simply Anderson College).
In 1988, it became Anderson University. Its seal features the values ‘veritas, fidelitas, utilitas’ (truth, faithfulness and service’).
The university offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, and a variety of graduate programmes. It has seven schools: the Falls School of Business, the School of Education, of Humanities, Music, Theatre and Dance, School of Nursing, Kinesiology, and Behavioral Science, and the School of Theology.
Anderson remains closely affiliated with the Church of God, and it is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities. Its mission is to help prepare students ‘for a life of faith and service in the church and society’; an Anderson education is guided by the traditions of its founding church. Current students are required to attend chapel at least 18 times each semester as part of their undergraduate degree. Students may choose to join a range of ‘campus ministries’, including for ministries for group study, representation of disabled students, and other purposes.
Students at Anderson take pride in their collegiate sports teams. Anderson University sports facilities including the 4300-seat Macholtz Stadium and the 3000-seat O.C. Lewis Gymnasium. The official mascot of Anderson University is the Rodney the Raven.