The Irish television series Father Ted, the Carry On films and Britons' inability to understand Finnish humour were among the topics due to be discussed at an international conference at the University of Salford as Times Higher Education went to press. Set to attend the conference, "Funny People, Those Foreigners", were academics from countries including Finland, Norway and Australia. Among the scheduled seminars were "Don't tell me I'm still on that fecking island" and "What a nice lad ... he does take his jihad seriously though, doesn't he?".
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber? Sign in now