Washington D.C., 18 Oct 2004
As part of the USPTO's continuing efforts to improve the ability to search and examine nanotechnology-related patents, the agency has established a new cross-reference digest for nanotechnology designated Class 977/Dig.1, entitled Nanotechnology.
Establishing this nanotechnology cross-reference digest is the first step in a multi-phase nanotechnology classification project and will serve the following purposes:
* Facilitate the searching of prior art related to Nanotechnology,
* Function as a collection of issued U.S. patents and published pre-grant patent applications relating to Nanotechnology across the technology centers, and
* Assist in the development of an expanded, more comprehensive, nanotechnology cross-reference art collection classification schedule.
The agency is continuing to identify and add relevant documents to the new digest, and is developing a comprehensive nanotechnology cross-reference art collection (Class 977, Nanotechnology) classification schedule that will replace this digest. The ultimate nanotechnology cross-reference art collection schedule for Class 977 will include definitions, subclasses and search notes related to classifications in other U.S. classes.
Until the comprehensive nanotechnology cross-reference art collection classification schedule is published, this digest should not be construed as an exhaustive collection of all patent documents that pertain to nanotechnology.
Class 977, nanotechnology, provides for disclosures:
* related to research and technology development at the atomic, molecular or macromolecular levels, in the length of scale of approximately 1-100 nanometer range in at least one dimension, and
* that provide a fundamental understanding of phenomena and materials at the nanoscale and to create and use structures, devices and systems that have novel properties and functions because of their small and/or intermediate size.
For questions regarding this new cross-reference digest for nanotechnology, please contact Yen Nguyen at (703) 305-6589 (email@example.com), Bob Craig at (703) 305-5136 (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Richard Elms at (571) 2-1869 (email@example.com).