Brussels, 15 Dec 2004
The European Commission has published a call for proposals inviting nominations for the 2005 René Descartes Prize. This falls under the 'Science and Society' activity of the Sixth Framework Programme (FP6).
The call is divided into two parts:
- Descartes Prize (research) - section 188.8.131.52(a)i of the work programme: this is a prize for teams having achieved outstanding scientific or technological results from European collaborative research in any field of science, including the economic, social and human sciences (total indicative budget - one million euro; minimum amount for a prize - 200,000 euro);
- Descartes Prize (communication) - section 184.108.40.206(a)ii of the work programme: a prize for organisations or individuals having achieved outstanding results in science communication. European and national organisations which carry out awards in the following fields are invited to send proposals (the winners of their awards):
- professional scientists engaged in science communication to the public;
- press articles contributing to the popularisation of science;
- scientific documentaries;
- popular science books;
- innovative action for science communication;
- editorial policy for the promotion of science;
- scientific TV/radio programme. (Total indicative budget - 250,000 euro; minimum amount for a prize - 50,000 euro). To see the call text, please visit: http:///fp6.cordis.lu/fp6/call_details.cf m?CALL_ID=191
For information on the Descartes Prize winners and finalists in 2004 and previous years, please visit: http:///www.cordis.lu/science-society/des cartes/press.htm Remarks: The deadline for submitting proposal documents is 10.5.2005.
Before contacting the Commission, proposers are strongly advised to consult the original call text in the Official Journal of the European Union at the reference below.