Higher education began in Osnabrück in 1632, when the Gymnasium Carolinum was upgraded into a Jesuit university. Then the government of the state of Lower Saxony, Germany decided to set up a university in Osnabrück in 1970, and by 1973 had laid down the legal basis for such an institution.
It opened officially in 1974, with the main building located in a baroque castle that was built in 1667, and was once the office to the Prince-Bishop of Osnabrück.
During the summer months, the mostly grassy castle court is used by students for open air cinema sessions and concerts. The mathematical and natural science faculties and the botanical garden are in the western part of the city on the Westerberg campus, which is shared with the neighbouring University of Applied Sciences.
Renowned for its research and teaching in humanities, social sciences, science, law and business administration and economics, it is also home to The European Legal Studies Institute, which is one of Europe’s most important research facilities in the field of comparative law and the harmonisation of law.
Osnabrück University has a 14,000 strong student body, with just under 1,000 academic staff. The former president of Germany, Christian Wulff, is a former student.
Osnabrück is a multifaceted city situated in a valley between the Wiehen Hills and the northern tip of the Teutoburg Forest. Students will enjoy the shopping opportunities, cultural organisations and festivals and markets in the historic area. The Osnabrück Symphony Orchestra, founded in 1919, is well-known far beyond the city limits.