MA Child Development and Family Education
This MA programme aims to help learners gain in-depth knowledge, skills and hands-on experience in child development and family education through the combination of research-led and practice-oriented modules. It focuses on the cultivation of transferrable skills and innovative thinking in order to guarantee our graduates great success in their future career, as well as provide the foundation for the home-school-community education paradigm that is rapidly gaining traction throughout society.
The family is a child's first school and parents are their first teachers. As such, the quality of family education directly affects children's physical and mental health. With the rapid growth of information technology in the 21st Century, the next generation of parents are experiencing unprecedented challenges and changes to the common family structure, leading to an increasing emphasis on child development and family education.
At present, however, there is a clear lack of family education professionals to meet this growing need. These new professionals must not only understand child development, but also be qualified to provide therapeutic relief for families struggling in the modern world.
September 1 2022
Students in the MA in Child Development and Family Education programme will:
- gain a critical understanding of key issues, concepts, and theories of child development and family education
- understand the multiple influential factors of child development and family education from a diversified perspective
- learn the core knowledge and concepts related to child development and family education, as well as the methods and intervention strategies needed to provide support for families and children
- master the skills and means to assess and evaluate child development and the quality of family education
- acquire professional experience through case analysis and teaching practice
- conduct scientific research projects and independent learning.
Bachelor Degree in Psychology, Psychology in Education, Education, Teaching, Social Work, Child and Family studies, English or a related subject. Students who demonstrate a basic understanding of undergraduate level psychology or education are preferred.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
IELTS 7.0 (minimum 6.0 in all sections). TOEFL iBT or PTE Academic are also accepted. Please refer to the below equivalence table.
The work experiences in the field of education (e.g. teaching, counselling and education management) are preferred.
Please visit Entry requirements for full details.
Graduates from this programme will be well prepared to either further their study for an EdD or PhD, or obtain employment in numerous teaching and administrative positions related to child development and family education. Possible employers include K-12 public or international schools; educational and research institutions; social and governmental organisations; children, youth and women activity centres, etc.