Brussels, 18 October 2005
The Council was briefed on:
- Communication from the Commission on reducing the climate change impact of aviation (190/05)
The Commission presented its communication proposing the inclusion of aviation in the EU emission trading scheme (1) to help meeting the emissions limitations under the Kyoto Protocol.
- EU Sustainable Development Strategy
The Commission briefed the Council on its forthcoming communication on the review of the EU Sustainable Development Strategy which should be adopted in December.
- 5th Meeting of the Ibero-American Forum of Environment Ministers - Colón, Panama, 21-22 September 2005 (13198/05)
The Spanish and Portuguese delegations summarised the results of the ministerial meeting referring to the three subjects debated: climate change, integrated management of water resources and waste management.
- European perspectives on the future use of genetically modified organisms (13247/05) and genetically modified organisms: decision-making process (13254/05)
The Danish delegation asked that constraints and opportunities related to using GMO technology would be discussed at the next (Environment) Council. The Luxembourg delegation would like to further reflect on the EU authorisation decision procedure.
- Environmental research in the 7th European Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration activities (13216/05)
The Netherlands delegation referred to a number of questions related to the 7th European Framework Programme for research and the environment.
- Next steps on the Emission Trading Scheme (13226/05)
The Polish delegation argued in favour of an early revision of the Directive establishing a scheme for greenhouse gas emission allowance trading with the Community on time for the preparations of the second national allocation plans (2008-2012) and pointed a number of areas that, in their opinion, should be reviewed.
(1) Directive 2003/87/EC (OJ