Brussels, 15 February 2006
Call for proposals - DG EAC No EAC/70/05 for the implementation of Action 1, Action 2 and Action 3 in the academic year 2007/2008 and Action 4 in the year 2006 of ERASMUS MUNDUS - The Community Action programme for the enhancement of quality in higher education and the promotion of intercultural understanding through co-operation with third countries (OJ C38/7 15.2.2006).
1. Objectives and Description
The Erasmus Mundus programme's overall aim is to enhance the quality of European higher education by fostering co-operation with third countries in order to improve the development of human resources and to promote dialogue and understanding between peoples and cultures.
The following activities are covered by the call for proposals:
- Select high-quality integrated masters courses which are offered by a consortium of at least three higher education institutions in at least three participating countries (Action 1);
- Give scholarships to highly qualified graduate students and scholars from third countries to follow or participate in the selected masters courses (Action 2);
- Select high-quality partnerships between selected masters courses and third-country higher education institutions (Action 3);
- Select projects of at least three institutions in at least three participating countries aiming to improve accessibility and enhance the profile and visibility of higher education in the European Union (Action 4).
2. Eligible applicants
- Action 1: higher education institutions in the 25 EU Member States, the countries of the European Economic Area/European Free Trade Association (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and the candidate countries for accession to the EU (Bulgaria, Croatia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Romania, and Turkey). As regards institutions from the candidate countries for accession to the EU (Bulgaria, Croatia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Romania, and Turkey), they will be able to participate under the present call for proposals for Action 1 only if the official participation of these countries in the programme has been formalised through the relevant instruments governing the relations between the European Community and those countries before the selection decision is taken (October 2006). Otherwise, institutions coming from those countries are not eligible for Action 1 under the present call for proposals;
- Action 2: individuals from third countries, i.e. any country other than the countries mentioned under Action 1 above;
- Action 3: higher education institutions from all countries of the world;
- Action 4: institutions from all countries of the world.
3. Budget and project duration
The total budget earmarked for the funding of projects is estimated at EUR 73,5 million. In case of Action 4, financial assistance from the Commission cannot exceed 75% of the total eligible costs.
- Action 1: each grant will amount to EUR 15 000 annually. Masters courses must start between August and December 2007;
- Action 2: each scholarship will amount to EUR 21 000 annually for each third-country student and EUR 13 000 for each third-country scholar. Scholarships are for masters courses starting in the academic year 2007/2008;
- Action 3: each grant will amount to a minimum of EUR 5 000 and a maximum of 15 000 annually plus allocations for student and scholar mobility. Partnerships must start between August and December 2007. The maximum duration of partnerships is 3 years;
- Action 4: grants will vary according to the project size. Projects must start in November or December 2006. The maximum duration of projects is 3 years.
Applications must be sent no later than
- Action 1: 30 April 2006
- Action 4: 31 May 2006
- Action 3: 30 November 2006
- Action 2: 28 February 2007
5. Further information
The full text of the call for proposals and the application forms are available on the following website: http://europa.eu.int/erasmus-mundus
Applications must comply with the requirements set out in the full text and be submitted using the form provided.