Regarding the Fruitbatgate affair ("Yikes! Attack of the killer viral fruit bats", May), I would argue that the reputational damage has been done not to University College Cork but to the 3,763 academics who signed the petition supporting Dylan Evans without first checking the facts. It is incredible that heavyweights such as Daniel Dennett, Steven Pinker and Lewis Wolpert, who are supposed to exemplify rationality and scholarship, rushed to vilify UCC and, by implication, the woman who made the complaint, on the basis of a one-sided account on a blog. Perhaps they could tell us whether they still support the petition after reading all the documentation and, if not, offer an apology.
Dorothy Bishop, Professor of developmental neuropsychology, University of Oxford.
Register to continue
Get a month's unlimited access to THE content online. Just register and complete your career summary.
Registration is free and only takes a moment. Once registered you can read a total of 3 articles each month, plus:
- Sign up for the editor's highlights
- Receive World University Rankings news first
- Get job alerts, shortlist jobs and save job searches
- Participate in reader discussions and post comments
Or subscribe for unlimited access to:
- Unlimited access to news, views, insights & reviews
- Digital editions
- Digital access to THE’s university and college rankings analysis
Already registered or a current subscriber?Sign in now